Wednesday, November 18, 2015

ILP "Design" - Edmodo

     For my first independent learning project I created a group for my kindergarten classroom on Edmodo. I believe Edmodo would be good for any grade level but would be easier for students in second grade and above to use alone. Students any younger than second grade may have issues reading or understanding what is to be expected of them without help from an adult. I am not sure if I would use it if I taught kindergarten or first grade only because I believe that it would require a lot of involvement from families and the schools where I am from have a very hard time with parent involvement.

     There were some things I really liked about Edmodo and others that I believe could be fixed. I really liked that they offered the ability to create polls, quizzes, assignments, and snapshots. I created a poll, and assignment, and a quiz for my students to take all on a recent book that we read in class. The objective of the assignment was to get the parents or adult in the student's life to help them create a show and tell project from them to show the class. The quiz was just a short little quiz to test student's knowledge of the stories main characters and what they did. The poll was just to ask students what they wanted to look into next. Asking them what they want to read next would help them feel like they have a say in the class. It also gives me a look at which book interests them more.

     The issues I encountered with Edmodo were that I wanted to try and do a snapshot but the youngest grade available was third grade which would be way about my students level. I also had issues with finding a URL that took you to a page that actually showed my kindergarten group page. The URL given under the settings took me to a page with an error message. I know this would be different with a class because each student would have their own account but it was still frustrating with trying to get everything set up and ready to go. Another issue I had was that we made an Edmodo account for our EME2040 class so when I went to create one strictly for my class I was unable to because it recognized my email address. This caused me to work from the Edmodo account that I already had and I created a group for my kindergarten class.

Click here to go to my kindergarten class edmodo page.
Group code: cra3fh

2 comments:

  1. I really liked that we could add so many different things in Edmodo as well. I used Edmodo for my first ILP and thought it would be okay to use for certain grade levels and subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Edmodo is a great tool in the classroom. It helps the students interact with one another as well as the parents. I will definitely use this in my future classroom!

    ReplyDelete