Monday, October 19, 2015

6 Classroom Webpages and resource evaluations

     I decided to look at the school pages from the county that I went to school in. It turns out that many of the schools there either don't require their teachers to have a class page on the school on the school website or they just do not make them keep up with it. I ended up finding some kindergarten teachers at Sorento Elementary school kept their pages pretty much up to date. On their pages they all had links to the the grading system that the school system uses. ESembler is similar to blackboard but it is something you need a password to get to the information regarding your child. many also had online reading like raz-kids, and links to their reading eseries website, but these also needed a password to get to. The only places on the class pages that did not require a password were the tabs for the supply list, high frequency words, announcements and the calendar.
     As mentioned in the podcast I would definitely use Microsoft office tools like word and excel to keep up with plans and make setting charts. Another teacher productivity tool talked about in the podcast that I would utilize is email. I believe that email can sometimes be better than calling. I can get email on my phone and quickly respond rather than playing phone tag with a parent or other teacher trying to answer a simple question. Something I saw in chapter 7 that I found interesting and could see myself using is Office 2 HD and Godocs. These are apps that allow teachers to use Microsoft office and google docs on their mobile devices. I know at this time I do not have a laptop that I would want to carry everywhere with me but I do think it would be helpful to be able to have these documents on my phone or tablet so that I could work on them if I was on a long car ride.
     While working on this web evaluation I was at first skeptical. I have never had good luck with group projects especially ones where the professor or teacher chose the groups, but for the first time it all worked out. I enjoyed working with my group. The other two girls were very helpful and I wasn't stressed about getting the assignment done and turned in. We had some struggles in the beginning with trying to get a layout. At first we clicked on a pre-made template but when we tried to customize it to what we wanted it was a disaster. The text box's went all over the place and we eventually could not even figure out how to delete it. Finally we ended up making a new one and with that one we did not try anything fancy because we did not want to have any problems with it. Here is the link to our website evaluation https://sites.google.com/site/civicsandgoveme2040/  . Though this assignment I learned how to use google sites, which at times was very confusing but it got easier. I could see using this in a high school social studies or science class and having the students make a page explaining a certain period of time or a specific topic in science.



1 comment:

  1. I like your application of Google Sites for classroom use. Google Classroom is trending in education right now with students having individual log-ins. So many collaborative possibilities.

    ReplyDelete